Because you can't have depths without surfaces.
Linda Grant, thinking about clothes, books and other matters.
Pure Collection Ltd.
Net-a-porter UK

Tuesday 20 November 2007

Thought for the day


My husband gave up everything for me. I'm not a beautiful woman. I'm nothing to look at, so the only thing I can do is dress better than anyone else. If everyone looks at me when I enter a room my husband can feel proud of me. That's my chief responsibility. Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor.

*Not one of my heroines, but still, an interesting remark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now Wallis was a true style icon. For all the talk about Jackie, Audrey, and Grace (my fav of these three)...Wallis has them all beat.

She understood true minimalism and classic dressing on a luxe scale. For all the talk about classic styling, it's frankly very hard to pull off well if your are less Grace Kellyesque and more jolie-laide.

Yes, the jewels helped, but the woman had a studied eye for what worked and how to work it.

Glad to see a post of such a remarkable and controversial fashion icon.

For those interested in the "French chic" way of doing things, that quote gives a very good insight, IMHO.

dana said...

What a fascinating relic. It's remarkable to me that she says with full awareness, essentially, "I am someone whose self-worth is entirely defined by my husband and his peers." How unfortunate to think that badly of oneself.

Elizabeth said...

She dressed well.

And yes, jolie-laide is the PERFECT description of her.