Because you can't have depths without surfaces.
Linda Grant, thinking about clothes, books and other matters.

Tuesday, 20 November 2007

Thought for the day


My husband gave up everything for me. I'm not a beautiful woman. I'm nothing to look at, so the only thing I can do is dress better than anyone else. If everyone looks at me when I enter a room my husband can feel proud of me. That's my chief responsibility. Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor.

*Not one of my heroines, but still, an interesting remark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now Wallis was a true style icon. For all the talk about Jackie, Audrey, and Grace (my fav of these three)...Wallis has them all beat.

She understood true minimalism and classic dressing on a luxe scale. For all the talk about classic styling, it's frankly very hard to pull off well if your are less Grace Kellyesque and more jolie-laide.

Yes, the jewels helped, but the woman had a studied eye for what worked and how to work it.

Glad to see a post of such a remarkable and controversial fashion icon.

For those interested in the "French chic" way of doing things, that quote gives a very good insight, IMHO.

Dana said...

What a fascinating relic. It's remarkable to me that she says with full awareness, essentially, "I am someone whose self-worth is entirely defined by my husband and his peers." How unfortunate to think that badly of oneself.

enc said...

She dressed well.

And yes, jolie-laide is the PERFECT description of her.