Because you can't have depths without surfaces.
Linda Grant, thinking about clothes, books and other matters.
Pure Collection Ltd.
Net-a-porter UK

Tuesday 20 November 2007

Olay or Creme de la Mer?


Is a drug store beauty product really just as good as one that costs four times the price? Are we being sold impossible dreams and packaging by cynical corporations? L'Oreal owns Lancome, maybe the products are identical. This very interesting site examines the 'scientific' claims of of beauty products and on the whole finds them wanting. But is she right? Vote in the Thoughtful Dresser poll, on the sidebar, on the right.

I have my own views on the matter, but I'll stay shtum until the poll closes.

6 comments:

Susan B said...

I use a mix of products, actually. I swear by St. Ives Apricot scrub (about $3 per tube at Target) but am also nuts about the new Sublimage line from Chanel. I really can see a difference in my skin. I've also found that there's generally a difference in texture between the low-end and top-end products; the low-end creams seem more watery or waxy and don't feel to me like they really penetrate the skin.

Anonymous said...

I do like Paula Begoun's no-nonsense approach (and in fact her face wash is one of the best I've tried). But then I totally ignore her when I'm splashing out £30 on Clarins moisturiser. More expensive products often do feel nicer, I agree - but it's also that I can't stand only having cheap, ugly looking stuff on my bathroom shelves...

Anonymous said...

It depends. You can get good and bad stuff for any price you choose.
I would like something really cheap that works for me, and I've shopped around quite a bit but the only stuff my skin will tolerate is either Dr Hauschka or La Roche Posay.
Clinique nearly wrecked my skin.

Anonymous said...

The best products are the ones you make yourself...hands down, BUT if you're gonna use a store brand Olay is the way to go or Nivea.

Anonymous said...

Nivea for Men. Sometimes I use Zirh or Menscience.

60GoingOn16 said...

Liz Earle for me. Gorgeous, organic stuff that doesn't break the budget but does wonders for my mature skin. Looks rather fetching on the bathroom shelves too.