Because you can't have depths without surfaces.
Linda Grant, thinking about clothes, books and other matters.
Pure Collection Ltd.
Net-a-porter UK

Friday 23 January 2009

Change from top to bottom


I was impressed by Hillary's first appearance as Secretary of State and particularly with the appointment of George Mitchell as special envoy to the Middle East. Drinking in every word of his speech, particularly this:

"Conflicts are created, conducted and sustained by human beings - they can be ended by human beings. I saw it happen in Northern Ireland," he said.

"I believe deeply that with committed and persevering, patient diplomacy it can happen in the Middle East."

While listening attentively to the briefing on CNN, which also appointed Richard Holbrooke as special envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan, I noticed two things - the number of times all parties used the word diplomacy, and um, Hillary's very very good hair colour.

7 comments:

StyleSpy said...

I think she was born for this job, and I was doing a happy little dance all during that press conference. Viva, Hillary!

dana said...

Nice dress or jacket, too, Hillary! I really was worried about all those ladies outside at the inauguration in dresses, and without scarves or hats. Just more sacrifice of comfort for style, etc. Although if I was on that stage, I bet I wouldn't have felt a thing.

This new administration is like a dream. After eight years of embarrassment, I find myself wondering if it's really happening, especially at this dizzying pace!

Anonymous said...

I think what Hillary was wearing was another version of her pant suit thing - long jacket. The part I was esp impressed with was actually before this, when she arrived. There was a huge crowd of career diplomatic people there who literally enveloped her - the only thing I did not see was someone throw themselves down to kiss her feet. The folks in the State Dept. obviously have been waiting for someone to come and rescue them...
oh, and the other thing is that when Obama came for the announcement and afterwards was 'working the line', someone spoke in Indonesian to him...and he spoke in Indonesian back. (the guy's comment was that Obama's accent was really good) To have, as president, someone who is intelligent, well-read and well-spoken in more than one language....incredible.

Duchesse said...

I'm very happy (as both a US and Canadian citizen) that the Americans have such a pervasive moood of hope and capacity for change. I wish her great success (and the hair is very attractive.)

Anonymous said...

I love Hilary's grey outfit. But I'm interested to know by what criteria you judge her hair to have 'very very good hair colour'. I find it hard to say anything good about those sort of heavy painted on streaks.

Anonymous said...

I noticed Hillary's hair at the inauguration and was impressed by how well it suits her skintone. I'm not normally a fan of large swaths of streaked hair, but she wears this look well, I think. We've certainly seen her look matronly in the past, but maybe now she's getting some good style advice. And, of course, it's so exciting to see her in such a prominent role--yet another thing that Americans have to be proud of (after 8 years long, sad years without much to be grateful for at all). Yes, indeed, Viva Hillary! Viva America!

lillyanne said...

I like the colours of Hillary's highlights but I absolutely don't like the style of them. Those thick blocks of colour just don't do it for me - fine (as much broader blocks) on young women but a real mistake if you're over 40: it looks so unsubtle. I've noticed before that US hairdressers don't do this kind of colour well.