Because you can't have depths without surfaces.
Linda Grant, thinking about clothes, books and other matters.
Pure Collection Ltd.
Net-a-porter UK

Monday 25 August 2008

A well-judged column

So rare that finds a really, really good writer about menswear. Harry has disappeared to his country retreat, so I am offering the position of locum menswear writer to Hardeep Singh Kohli. I wonder what he does with the rest of his time?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a well-made cotton drill sweat top as much as the next slightly overweight, amply-arsed man, but there is a time and a place for such frivolity. Perhaps I belong to another era - maybe the 1950s - but I do yearn for all men to enjoy the suit again, feel pride in their smartness and become elevated by elegance. It's time to promote the peacock and I am happy to be at the vanguard of the strutting. I have plenty of denim and trackwear but I'd rather been seen in a beautifully tailored, plum-coloured three-piece suit, a multi-stripe double-cuff shirt and an appropriately complementary tie. Upon my oversized, calloused feet I would have tasselled Bally loafers. I have even invested in half a dozen pouchettes and a handful of cravats, either or both of which I intend to coordinate with my turban. I will be embracing dandyism in every way possible.

6 comments:

Geraldine Ryan said...

Great to have Hardeep on the blog! I'm a big fan!

Gi said...

my man loves his suits.. in fact he still misses the days when Tom Ford designs for Gucci and suits are about 1/3 of what Tom Ford charges now under his own label

Susan B said...

Great column! I'm right there with him on being hopeless with summer clothing, and anticipating the return of autumn.

Anonymous said...

Where was this man when I was in Scotland last week? There I was, hiking with a group(half Taiwanese, half US and Italian, most hammering away on their Blackberries)on a mountain on Skye, swatting midges and hoping my health insurance was in effect, when I could have been with someone far more witty(and definitely far more adept in the kitchen than I). Discussing green chilis in Shepherd's Pie and plum colored three piece suits. Sheesh. I'll never make THAT mistake again.

Fab50Plus said...

I don't think I've ever read anything that explained why fall seems to trigger an almost irresistible desire to retool our wardrobes. I always thought it was about the habit in the U.S. of buying new clothes for the start of school which shaped our fall style reassessments!

But reading Mr. Hardeep, I'm thinking maybe it's more about the fact that spring and summer is all about what you can take off - fall and winter is all about how much you can pile on! And if you must, since you must (baring a unusually warm global warming winter) why not look forward to doing it in style!

Bravo Mr. Hardeep! May your elegance revolution succeed! ;-)

dalia said...

i just found this article today and laughed my ass off.
very well-done.
i love the brits sense of humor.