Because you can't have depths without surfaces.
Linda Grant, thinking about clothes, books and other matters.

Wednesday, 12 December 2007

Thought for the day

remember us?

The same costume will be
Indecent . . . 10 years before its time
Shameless. . . 5 years before its time
Outre (darling) . . . 1 year before its time
Smart
Dowdy . . . 1 year after its time
Hideous . . .10 years after its time
Ridiculous . . . 20 years after its time
Amusing . . . 30 years after its time
Quaint . . . .50 years after its time
Charming . . .70 years after its time
Romantic . . . 100 years after its time
Beautiful . . . 150 years after its time

James Laver

1 comment:

Toby Wollin said...

I will freely admit, right now, here in print (or perhaps it's electrons) that I actually like shoulder pads. Not huge ones, but certainly a good strong half-inch. I am short and female. I need all the assertiveness I can get. I am also a little bit thick in the waistline, so anything that creates the illusion of a triangle makes me look just a little more elegant, I think.
I'm one of those people who is still putting velcro shoulder pands in her sweaters.