Because you can't have depths without surfaces.
Linda Grant, thinking about clothes, books and other matters.
Pure Collection Ltd.
Net-a-porter UK

Monday 15 September 2008

Edward Stiechen for Vogue

Justine Picardie writes:

The pictures, taken during Steichen's 14-year reign at Vogue and Vanity Fair, when he was dubbed 'America's court portraitist', reveal themselves as the prototypes for the work of Mario Testino and Annie Leibovitz: for they are intended to flatter, rather than reveal imperfection; to encapsulate heroism and intensify iconic status; in other words, to make the rich and famous look like even more gilded versions of themselves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my opinion Testino and Liebovitz barely reach the ankles of this great artist. When one considers the simplicity of the technology he used, the images he produced are art and they work on so many levels. I've never rated Liebovitz's work, which seems to say more about her than her subjects.

Belle de Ville said...

Am I the only one who remembers the work of Victor Skrebneskik. I think that his fashion photography was stunning. Every picture evoked the dream that the product was promoting.

Anonymous said...

The course of my adolescence was dictated by the work of Victor Skrebneski and I still have the magazine pulls of his work collected at that time of my life. He is at least partly responsible for my addiction to luxury!