Because you can't have depths without surfaces.
Linda Grant, thinking about clothes, books and other matters.
Pure Collection Ltd.
Net-a-porter UK

Friday 22 August 2008

The grown-up moment


Everything I read tells me that clothes are about to undertake a dramatic change: hemlines two inches below the knee, jackets that cover the bum, feminine blouses instead of clingy tops. Long sleeves. Alexandra Shulman told me a few months ago that in fashion, you just have to wait it out. If nothing suits you, don't rage against fashion, just wait. Your turn will come.

Here's Sarah Mower in the Telegraph:

The season we're contemplating looks like a veritable field day for those of us who don't regard "classic" as a synonym for boring; who like to change our appearances in small yet wickedly effective increments; and who enjoy nothing more than focusing on sharp, economical purchases while ignoring all nonsense trends strewn in our paths.

This, in other words, is the season that will sort the women from the girls.

It's a pity that it's taken such a terrible dive in the economy to lasso most designers back from their stampede into frivolity and force them to produce more useful, serious content. But having to imagine what would appeal this season while we were back in the first twinges of the sub-prime crisis has done them the power of good.

So what we're seeing on the rails now is measured, grown-up, curvaceous, functionally considered design - with the odd invigorating flash of something different. Which is what proves a designer's worth in the first place, I'd say.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah Mower's article is so uplifting. What with her predictions and my new collection of leather gloves (thanks to your book), for the first time in my life I'm actually looking forward to the end of summer!

I've always rated Sarah Mower as a fashion commentator. I remember years ago she gave a lecture when I was an MA student berating the content of fashion journalism. She spoke really well and had a lot to say. She really KNOWS about fashion, which makes such a difference.

I'm delighted she's with me on pleated fronts.

Susan B said...

I'd hoped the same thing last year after seeing the fall runways, yet the racks were still full of babydoll and lowrise and flounces and smocks. But I'll get on the train again, and hope that this trend filters down quickly to the rest of us whose lifestyle doesn't support designer wear. Except for the pleated pants, I won't be fighting gp over the rack for those. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Deja - you and I will just have to go on a shopping trip for non-pleated dress pants and some nifty blouses. I just got back from London and Edinburgh and I saw a lot of very pretty blouses being worn.

Duchesse said...

If I had $5 for every eager announcement that "THIS year/season clothes will be more wearable" I'd have enough for one of the Prada lace pieces I covet.

How refreshing to have read, at any point in the last 35 years,
"This season, designers have created pieces only suitable for the 6'1", 40kg woman who is not employed, and looks good in puce. So don't buy anything."

Anonymous said...

I was onboard with Sarah until I read the part about pointy stilettos - no, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Just saw in local Jaeger window a pair of pleated front straight leg trousers from latest AW collection. I defy anyone to disapprove of them!