Because you can't have depths without surfaces.
Linda Grant, thinking about clothes, books and other matters.
Pure Collection Ltd.
Net-a-porter UK

Tuesday 18 March 2008

News of shoes

I got it into my head while I was travelling, that on my return I would buy a new pair of shoes, having consigned to a hotel waste bin, for reasons of expediency, a pair that looked shabby and were perhaps not such a great idea in the first place. Though inexpensive. After the hairdresser's I walked up Sloane Street to Salvatore Ferragamo, where, legend has it, they make very good quality classic shoes, perhaps not the dernier cri, but wearable. I was not looking for flats, or sensible walking shoes, but day-to-nights: shoes I could wear to a smart lunch or a party, but no bling.

Heels.

The bastards have done it again. First we had kitten heels. Then we had clumpy heels. Then we had high clumpy heels we couldn't walk in. Now we have high stilettos we can't walk in. There being almost nothing to try on in Ferragamo, I went to Fratelli Rossetti. Same thing. So I went to Harvey Nicks' shoe department and the dreadful truth was revealed. We are back to needle thin points. There were a few pairs of shoes of high clumpy heels, but not many. There were no shows with medium height points. The wedges were tall and wooden, make them too heavy to walk in.

Eventually, with the assistance of a very helpful Lithuanian sales assistant, I bought a pair of black patent Dolce e Gabbana peep-toe shoes, with a wearable clumpy high heel. I think I can walk in them. Just. They do fit. They cost £300, making them the most expensive shoes I have ever owned, though beautifully made. Of course they're cheaper in America, on Raffaelo.

I have no idea when I will next be able to buy any more shoes, if this is what faces us for the next couple of seasons, or more.

These are the shoes I bought, but in black patent - does anyone think I should have got the white instead? I couldn't decide in the shop, and thought I should be sensible and get the black, But now I'm not sure . . .

16 comments:

Belle de Ville said...

Can I suggest Cole Hahn for comfortable wearable shoes. Not to mention the Nike Air technology. Check out their website.
I'm looking for a chic flat day to evening shoe...and on Rodeo Drive, of all places, I haven't found anything. And..I think Taryn Rose shoes are uncomfortable and ugly.
I would just die to find good quality custom made shoes.

Anonymous said...

I never know if i'm purchasing hype or quality these days. Are the "name" shoes really better, as in well made and comfortable, than other shoes such as Cole Hahn, Airflex and Clarks?
Linda, every time I see a white shoe I think Minnie Mouse, so I totally agree with your black choice

Linda Grant said...

Well, I'm not sure that Cole Hahn are available in Britain, Clarks are okay, but the styles leave a lot to be desired if you're looking for something special.

It's perfectly possible to find comfortable shoes, but the point of this post is to ask why fashion is no longer producing beautiful stylish shoes one can actually wear.

Anonymous said...

I think both look great, and I really like the brown resin buckle on the white version, a nice change from the more common metal buckles.

Linda can you get Arturo Chiang shoes in the UK? I found that brand on smartbargains.com and they're really well made, not expensive, and really comfortable.

Susan B said...

Those shoes would be lovely in either black or white.

Are Taryn Rose shoes available there? I saw a pair at Bloomies the other day that were quite similar to the ones you have, but in a very subtle pewter metallic, that would go with everything. She also tends toward the chunky, walkable heels and her shoes are quite comfortable.

Linda Grant said...

According to its website Arturio Chang is not available in Europe. Harrods stocks a few pairs of Taryn Rose in a very limited range of styles.

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely shoes. Are they comfortable? (I mean in terms of dress shoes, of course, not spending the day walking).

Alas I have arthritis and can't wear really high heels any more, and have not found any pretty shoes with something like a Cuban or tango heel to dance in. I had the loveliest pair like that, but wore them out of course.

As for Clarks, although they have much less frumpy styles than before (quite acceptable "office shoes" now) alas I fear the quality has fallen. My practical, unlovely Clarks sandals used to last me several seasons while doing a lot of travelling, but the most recent pair has been demoted to slippers-when-home-alone status after one summer in Europe. Many of them are made in China now and are simply not the quality they were when made in the UK or à la rigueur in continental Europe.

An Argentine friend says that, due to the currency crisis there and the tradition of fine Italian and Spanish leatherwork, it is possible to have stylish and comfy shoes handmade there. If I get there I will check it out.

Anonymous said...

I like your shoes, in either color. I think the black is probably more wearable for a longer season, but given the peeoptoe you won't be wearing it in the winter anyway. I think it comes down to which color goes with more of your existing wardrobe.

Anonymous said...

ooh! now those are shoes! don't suppose they do them in red, do they?

Linda Grant said...

I wish they did, Stella - and may we meet again on the podium

Anonymous said...

why dont you all see a website i found and actually took my credit card and paid to buy a pair of top heel shoes, its Bestbrands4less.com ; they offer Discount on women’s and men’s shoes. ; so go and check out :)

Anonymous said...

Black was a better choice than white. I firmly believe only Minnie Mouse can successfully wear white!

Anonymous said...

Do you know the brand Thierry Rabotin? Available in London at Shoon. Exquisite shoes you can walk in.

You choice (in blac)- divine!

badmomgoodmom said...

I've been buying Munro American shoes lately. They are very comfortable and classic shoes, but not too boring. Like Italian shoemakers, Munro uses a combination last; the fit and quality are excellent. Because of the weak dollar, they are much more affordable for me than Italian shoes.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shoes... Last Sunday, bought very nice footwear from Soft Surroundings Outlet store..

Google Cash said...

hey go to any of lady shoe you can get many types of soes and also for cheap with brande