Because you can't have depths without surfaces.
Linda Grant, thinking about clothes, books and other matters.
Pure Collection Ltd.
Net-a-porter UK

Wednesday 31 October 2007

No plastic


For those of you who didn't manage to get an Anya Hindmarch I'm not a plastic bag and don't want to buy a fake on ebay, Marie Claire magazine is giving away a Plastic Ain’t My Bag shopper, free with the December issue, supporting We Are What We Do’s campaign to make this year a plastic bag free Christmas. Marie Claire says their bag is 'an organic cotton shopper that is the perfect accessory, sturdy enough for all your Christmas shopping.'

I did manage to get an (actually three) Anya Hindmarch I'm not a plastic bag(s), and I use one of them pretty much every day, for shopping, as a gym bag and for travel when you can only take one carry-on. It fits my laptop and my handbag. My acquisition of plastic bags has dropped to almost nothing. I don't say it will save the planet (persuading one billion Chinese people that a car isn't better than a bicycle is our only hope of doing that, save revolutionary technological fixes) but do we really want disfigure the environment with landfill sites full of the cast off detritrus of our shopping?

1 comment:

Meg said...

My husband and I got several canvas bags at our grocery store. We thought $5 a piece was expensive, but they were extra deep and had a pocket on the outside.

We're glad to be helping the environment, but honestly, it's not the primary reason we use the canvas bags. They're convenient because we can carry more groceries inside with fewer trips. We can pack more in each bag and they're easier to carry because the handles don't dig into our hands like the plastic bags. Plus, they don't rip open spilling our groceries everywhere.